Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2003, 06:42 AM   #1
Vovan
Alln00bzGoToHeaven

Send a message via ICQ to Vovan
High CPU temp

I have a Xp 2800 barton with a Volcano 11 (boy that sucker is loud!) I run at at max rpms and i get really hot temperatures.
At most review sites Volcano 11 shows minimum 30-32 C idle and max of 45-47C with cpu load at 100%
but mine is 42-44 at idle. Could it be due to a fact that i put too much grease? or is it normal temp for 2800 and up?
Vovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:29 AM   #2
MaX
Bluto

Send a message via ICQ to MaX Send a message via AIM to MaX Send a message via MSN to MaX
Thats really not to bad mine at idle runs alittle lower and i have a xp1700 and a volcano7 i wouldnt get to worried
Old 05-15-2003, 08:39 AM   #3
sLy1

Send a message via ICQ to sLy1 Send a message via AIM to sLy1
Well considering indoor temp change
Using ASUS Probe mine goes from 43-50C. 92-122F with fan at low rpms. Once summer comes around Im sure that will be higher. Idle btw...
After running 3dmark several times in a row max temp is 52C with fans at low rpm's...

With fans running max RPMs temp goes down to 32C/89F

Also In BIos Hardware Monitor from a restart after reaching 50C, it shows 113 degrees. Ive seen several notes saying ASUS probe reports higher temps than actual, up to 10 degrees.

From reading the Nforce forums, I've come to realize that everyone is going to get different temps even if it's the same chip and everyone is going to have different airflow patterns in their cases.
No one has given a specific temp range that I can see.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16760

Been waiting three days for a response to this one
Mine is running stable, but Im afraid to oc and I want to know if I should take my fan off and put on some arctic silver instead of the paste that came with the fan

Quote:
AMD 2500+ Fan Low RPM
IDLE MAX TEMP: ?
LOAD MAX TEMP: ?

AMD 2500+ Fan High RPM
IDLE MAX TEMP: ?
LOAD MAX TEMP: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0L -=CD
If you come visit, I'll let you sit on it.
sLy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:52 AM   #4
Grip[X-D]
Camel Towing Service

Be aware tho, some motherboards can be 10-15 degrees off true temps. I know just upgrading motherboards to a different chipset, but from the same manufacturer, mine has risen rough 8 degrees C.

Yes Sly, artic silver or their new ceramic is alomost a must for amd's. Be aware tho, AMD says artic silver can void your warrenty because of the metallic substance, the ceramic version doesn't contain metals and can lower the temps just the same as artic silver.
Grip[X-D] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:21 AM   #5
[T2K]__BusteR__
Original Nanner

Send a message via ICQ to [T2K]__BusteR__
Get a pentium hahaha,,, I wont go there.

I have a P4 3.0 OCed to 3.6 running at no more (100% load) than 96% F.

But I use a simple water cooled system. A pump, a block and sil tubing into a top mounted radiator.

"Everything in life has a reason...
The bad things time heals...and the good things time makes better" - [T2K] Elvis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugAMOM
P.S. Buster, I love you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revox
You are a cruel bastard Buster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega
Buster was right.
[T2K]__BusteR__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:38 AM   #6
sLy1

Quote:
Using ASUS Probe mine goes from 43-50C. 92-122F with fan at low rpms. Once summer comes around Im sure that will be higher. Idle btw...
After running 3dmark several times in a row max temp is 52C with fans at low rpm's... With fans running max RPMs temp goes down to 32C/89F

so grip if my temps were accurate, you would think they were too high?

I went to AMD's site and they said temps will vary from system to system, but 85C is max temp.
B4 I go to overclock, Im going to put a lcd sensor in the case and see how far off the temps really are.
Anyone know where the motherboard temp sensors actually are so I could put my own sensors in the same location?

I might take off the fan and buy some ceramic stuff from frozencpu.com, but I don't want to break the mobo or chip putting it back in the already done case. So I'll only do it if my system becomes unstable. RIght now it's running fine.
50 max idle and 52 max loaded is not too bad in my eyes.
All in all i'm probably worried about nothing. The case blows out cold air, i know that much.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2003, 09:48 AM   #7
Grip[X-D]
Camel Towing Service

It's all in how comfortable you feel with the temps. I personally don't like it that high. That's why I bought a p4 so i don't have to run those high volume fans to keep it cool.

I use to keep my 1900+ antd 2100+ in the 105-114 F range, but it took a massive fan and heatsink. The artic ceramic will do nothing but help your cause Sly, and I recommend using it. You feel much more comfortable with it, and being summer is coming it might be worth wild. I know it's already hit 101 degrees here and it only May.

Trust me AMD says that 84C is max, but anything above 60 and you may run into stability problems, esp under load.

I would also suggest when you purchase the artic ceramic, that you look into a cpu shim made for your cpu, that way it will evenly displace the pressure from your heatsink. So you don't have to worrry as much about cracking your core.

Also make sure that when you place the artic on, you do some things. Clean all the old paste off with rubbing alcohol, both from the die and the heatsink. Then when you put the artic on you follow the direction on their website. Applying a thin layer on the cpu die and a paper thin layer on the heatsink, spread with a razor or credit card to distribute evenly.
Grip[X-D] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:03 AM   #8
sLy1

wow, ok thanks. I'm gonna order the ceramic today then. I got 6 case fans in here and a good unrestricted airflow and a hella heatsink on it. I shouldn't be worrying about temps like I am.
CPU Shim huh? Man the research never ends in this industry.

nothing scared me more putting this together than the amt of pressure I had to put on the heatsink clip to lock it on. the thought of having to do it again is giving me nausea. I almost want to buy a new chip and mobo now just in case except I don't have the money for it. ;o Maybe I should put it off. Anniversary and weddings and Qcon coming up... hmmm. ...

Quote:
Old 05-15-2003, 10:30 AM   #9
Evil
Ling Ling

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Send a message via AIM to Evil
Vovan a lot of boards don't precisely read temperatures. Here is my take on the temperatures. Does your computer run stable? Does it ever lock up and give you BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death). If it does neither one of those things than your temperatures are fine.
Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
MaX
Bluto

Send a message via ICQ to MaX Send a message via AIM to MaX Send a message via MSN to MaX
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil
Vovan a lot of boards don't precisely read temperatures. Here is my take on the temperatures. Does your computer run stable? Does it ever lock up and give you BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death). If it does neither one of those things than your temperatures are fine.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:38 AM   #11
Tekneek
I'm going DOWNTOWN!

Send a message via ICQ to Tekneek Send a message via AIM to Tekneek
Yes Sly, Grip is correct. The "goop" that comes with the fan just plain stinks. I finally got the artic silver back that I let a friend borrow and it lowered my tempt a good 10 degrees F . Not bad at all and also leaves me more headroom to OC some more I'm thinking my next system might be an intel, I haven't had an Intel since the 600mhz where out

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:44 AM   #12
MattSwift.com
RA3 MAPPER

Send a message via AIM to MattSwift.com
AthlonXPs can operate with stability up to 70C. Don't worry until it passes that.

In the summer (I'm in Phoenix) if it's 114 degrees outside, and even if the air conditioning is on, the ambient heat that comes through my bedroom window is enough to jack up the CPU temps to 50c. No worries...

Hell, Athlons are mostly $100 or so anyway. If a screwup occurs, pick up one of those highly overclockable 1700+s and bump it to 2200+
MattSwift.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:48 AM   #13
sLy1

I know I just looked and the 2500+ dropped in price to $120 hah!

Quote:
Old 05-15-2003, 11:59 AM   #14
MattSwift.com
RA3 MAPPER

Send a message via AIM to MattSwift.com
Seriously Sly.... How can AMD make such nice products for bottom dollar? I love it.

Can't wait for the Opteron pricedrops.
MattSwift.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:31 PM   #15
Vovan
Alln00bzGoToHeaven

Send a message via ICQ to Vovan
I forgot to mention that i do also have an asus a7n8x, thermal compound is antec silver. Either way you look at it it's gotta be lower than 44c at idle. But like slyzor said the mobo bios may be lying its ass off. I have rev. 2 of the bios.
I'm going to have to install the case temp sensor but then again how exact would it measure cpu temp? it's mounted on the dye but actually quite far away from it. oh well i guess since it's not shutting down from overheating i'll be ok

Evil: heh i haven't gotten around to installing an os yet. stayed up late last night trying to find the freaking hdd led (lol its called ide activity led and its in the wrong freaking place, far away from the main group of the switches).
i will hook up the sensors for the case and see if i can thin the grease layer a bit, i think i did put too much.

That Volcano 11 is a bitch to put on a7n8x dlx. there are like 4 black cathod mofos right next to the cpu socket, i had to bend em out of the way so i could clamp it. it was scary.
Vovan is offline   Reply With Quote