ClanT2K Forums  

Go Back   ClanT2K Forums > T2K Forums > Ventrilo Support Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
Catbert

Angry I expect an answer from Ventrilo/Flagship Industries on this matter!

I want to know exactly why Ventrilo is sending an 86-byte "phone home" UDP packet on port 5000 to server1.ventrilo.com every time that a server or client is started!

I read through the entire terms of agreement when the client is installed and NOWHERE does it mention that we as the users authorize the software to be used for any function other than voice over IP. This "big brother" routine is not mentioned anywhere on the web site at all and clearly is implemented from a "what they don't know won't hurt them" standpoint.

If it's merely to tabulate how often the product is used, that's fine, but then your users have the right to be told that and to have the option of turning it off if they so choose.

As far as I'm concerned, this communication back to Ventrilo's servers is completely unauthorized and denotes a violation of the terms of service on the part of Flagship Industries. As such, I want to know what this packet is for, why it is not explained anywhere, and why user's don't have the option of turning it off.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:09 AM   #2
Flagship

It's a version update checker... That's all... It's just checking to see if there is a new version available....

Although, the latest client doesn't provide an option to disable it which is my fault and will be corrected in the next version... Not that it's a big deal or anything...
Old 10-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #3
Catbert

Thank you for your response. Upon further inspection of the packet, I noticed the text "updat" so I suspected as such.

Before you roll your eyes, I'm a network and security admnistrator by trade, so I don't take renegade packets very lightly. That fact that this question was asked in another thread (but never answered) also was a concern.

Now, on the plus side, it seems to be a great little tool and I love that you have UNIX binaries for the servers. I have the server running on Solaris 9 at home.

Keep up the good work, but let's be a bit more forthcoming on things like this.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
velusip
aka velu

Send a message via ICQ to velusip Send a message via AIM to velusip
Might save yourself some trouble in the future by having the server check for updated versions of the client, then examining a client connection for version. Save your own bandwidth! ;
Old 11-04-2003, 07:30 AM   #5
Freaksta

If your going to get sneaky (user, not flagship) then try disassembling the packet first and looking at its payload.. assuming that its spyware is a jump of the gun.

Dont dabble in sniffing if you're not goign to take it all the way home. Read your packets!